Move over diamonds, there’s a new bestie in town! L-Ascorbic Acid, also known as Vitamin C serum, is an absolute must-have for everyone’s skincare routine – regardless of age or skin type. Rough texture, uneven skin tone, fine lines, acne scars and dull complexion – you name it, sister. This multi-tasking miracle worker is known and loved for its amazing brightening and anti-ageing abilities, and dermatologists also tout it for being one of the strongest protective antioxidants out there. Sounds too good to be true? Hold on to your wide-brimmed hats, because there’s so much more to love…
What is L-ascorbic acid, anyway?
L-Ascorbic Acid’s full name may look a little daunting, but simply refers to a specific structure of vitamin C. Ascorbic Acid is the name of vitamin C in the body, and the “L” in L-Ascorbic Acid refers to the way the molecule rotates to light. Amazingly, L-Ascorbic Acid is the most abundant antioxidant in the body; however, humans cannot produce it on their own. We extract vitamin C through our diet or supplementation, but our skin is usually the last organ to receive vitamin C, which means it often does not receive it at the concentrations required to affect the skin in any significant way. *Vitamin C serum has entered the chat*
Vitamin C serum benefits
- Reduces wrinkles
- Protects collagen and increases production
- Assists with wound healing
- Helps protect against sun damage
- Reduces hyperpigmentation
- Evens skin tone
- Brightens complexion and radiance
- Reduces the appearance of dark undereye circles
- Acts like armor against pollution and other free radicals
How to use vitamin C serum
If you’re ready to get your glow on like never before, simply apply Vitamin C serum to your face, neck and chest twice daily (skip at night if you use retinol).
Always use SPF with vitamin C
We take sun protection pretty seriously around here, so listen up ladies (and gents – yeah, we see you!). Vitamin C serum isn’t a substitute for sunscreen. In fact, sun sensitivity increases with its usage. However, the two together can work in tandem to actually boost the skin’s protection from damage. So be sure to lather on that sunscreen as your last step after applying your serums.
What to look for in a Vitamin C serum
Before you rush out and buy the first Vit C serum that you come across, keep in mind that not all serums are created equal. Here’s what to look for on the bottle or packaging to make sure you’re using the real deal.
- Form: L-ascorbic acid. Vitamin C can appear on the ingredient label as several different names, but the one you want is Ascorbic Acid or L-Ascorbic Acid (they are both the same ingredient, just written differently), which is the most effective, and the only Vitamin C that increases Vitamin C levels in the skin.
- Concentration: 10–20 percent. Fundamentals Skincare Vit C Serum is sitting at 15%, right in the sweet spot! Going over 20% doesn’t equal better results, as this can cause irritation, and doesn’t increase its benefit.
- Packaging: Dark or tinted glass bottles. As a topical ingredient, vitamin C is volatile and breaks down when exposed to light or oxygen.
- Price: Not really a factor in quality. Simply choose one that ticks the boxes above, and fits your budget.
Things to keep in mind
- Consistency is key. Apply it at least daily to maintain the antioxidant benefits.
- It takes time. You could see results in as little as a few weeks to as long as months. But with consistency, they’ll come. We promise!
- Vitamin C can’t be mixed with certain ingredients, namely alpha hydroxy acid AHA or beta hydroxy acid BHA. This includes lactic acid, glycolic acid, salicylic acid, and retinol. When vitamin C is combined with AHAs and BHAs, they both become inactive, and when combined with retinol, it will give you a red, irritated complexion.
- No shelfies on the windowsill. Store it away from heat and direct sunlight.
The bottom line is that vitamin C is a legendary serum for a reason: it really works. And as one of the best tried-and-true ingredients for your skin, it also has lots of research to back it up. Now that you know why literally everyone is obsessed with vitamin C, try it for yourself. You won’t be disappointed!
Buy Fundamentals Skincare 15% Vitamin C Serum – R149 / 30ml.