Wait, what? Acid on your face? Don’t be fooled, besties. This serum is one of the holy grail skincare ingredients that holds the key to instantly smooth, flawless, and hydrated skin (hellooo, instant gratification!). Contrary to what its name suggests, hyaluronic acid (HA) is incredibly gentle with no stinging sensation and works wonders on ALL skin types.
Here’s what you need to know about this can’t-go-wrong serum and why you should be using it in your everyday skincare routine.
What is hyaluronic acid?
Essentially, hyaluronic acid is a very large sugar molecule with a gel-like-consistency. It acts like a magnet for moisture, helping your cells retain as much of it as possible, so that your skin feels and appears hydrated and plump.
Just a single gram of hyaluronic acid has the ability to hold up to six litres of water. It also has the ability to regulate that moisture in the cells, so as not to drown them. Pretty amazing, right?
HA actually occurs naturally in the human body but starts to decline as we age, causing dullness, fine lines and uneven tone. Thankfully, we have a stash of the man-made topical stuff to keep the glow going!
Benefits of hyaluronic acid
Here are some of the best reasons to incorporate HA into your daily skincare routine:
- Hydration, hydration, hydration! Skin is super-soft, plump and dewy.
- Reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Works for all skin types, (yep, that includes dry and sensitive skin too).
- Antioxidant properties means it acts like a shield against pollution and other environmental aggressors.
- You can use it every day in your morning and/or evening routine.
- Fast absorbing, unlike some other skin products, which means you lose less product.
Top tips for using hyaluronic acid
Yes, this powerful little ingredient may be the golden child of skincare, but it’s not totally foolproof. It still needs to be used correctly in order to reap its full benefits. If not used the right way, you could end up with even drier skin than before. Eek!
- Applying HA to damp skin is key, as this gives it a water source to draw moisture from.
- Only ever apply to clean skin. If you apply it on top of a moisturiser or sunscreen, it’s not going to work its magic.
- Don’t be fooled into thinking HA is the only thing your skin needs. HA is a team player and works best with a moisturiser. This helps ensure the hydration stays locked within the skin, rather than escaping from the surface.
A winning serum for everyone
So, is hyaluronic acid worth all the hype? It’s a resounding YES in our books! This hero skincare ingredient that is so easy to use, has barely any side effects, and offers many benefits. It’s one of the simplest and most affordable ways to keep your skin hydrated and looking its best glowing self.
Ready to try it for yourself? Shop Fundamentals Hyaluronic Acid Serum online now!